Brief Information about The Class 1 MELT program.
To get a Class 1 driver’s licence you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- hold any class of Alberta non-probationary driver’s licence (Graduated Driver’s Licensing Program drivers are not eligible for a Class 1 licence)
- have an approved Alberta driver’s medical examination report completed by a physician or nurse practitioner and approved by a registry agent or Alberta Transportation’s Driver Fitness and Monitoring before taking MELT training
- this will ensure you are medically eligible for a Class 1 licence prior to investing in training
- have successfully completed the Air Brake Program (Q Endorsement), if applicable
- complete the MELT program
Step 1. Complete MELT program
You must participate in training delivered by an Alberta licensed driver training school. Refer to the list to find a school that provides the MELT program.
- Class 1 MELT program will take 113 hours to complete. This total does not include the Air Brake program, which is approximately 8.5 additional hours.
- Experience and Equivalency Class 1 MELT program will take 40 hours to complete. This total does not include the Air Brake program, which is approximately 8.5 additional hours. For details on the program eligibility, read the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 MELT section below.
The standardized classroom session is:
- Class 1: 40.5 hours
- Experience and Equivalence Class 1: 11 hours
The standardized in-yard training session is:
- Class 1: 15.5 hours
- Experience and Equivalency Class 1: 6.5 hours
The standardized practical training session is:
- Class 1: 57 hours
- Experience and Equivalency Class 1: 22.50 hours
Step 2. Pass driver knowledge test
Step 3. Schedule road test
We will provide a vehicle for the road test that meets all legal requirements and has the following configuration.
- a tractor-trailer with gross vehicle weight of at least 11,794 kg and a:
- 13-speed manual transmission
- full-air brake system on both tractor and trailer
- minimum tandem axle tractor and a tandem axle trailer
- fifth wheel coupling device
- single trailer with a minimum length of 48 feet and a minimum distance of 35 feet measured from the kingpin to the centre of each rear axle
Step 4. Pass road test
You must pass the pre-trip inspection and the driver’s road test.
Skyway Driving School charges $9,300 for Class 1 MELT program.
- Commercial truck driver training course (Class 1): course delivery guidelines and curriculum
- Commercial truck driver training course (Class 1): curriculum development standards
- Commercial truck driver training course: Class 1 presentation
Please feel free to contact us at-